Friday, October 12, 2012

How I Got New Bedside Lamps


I have been wanting to spray paint some lamps with Krylon's Looking Glass spray for the longest time, and while Mother was here visiting, I finally got up the nerve to try it.

These glass lamps are pretty hideous, right? I guess the orange one isn't so bad, but the blue one just screams "80's country." You can visualize the rose plush sofa that it illuminated. You're picturing that right now, aren't you? And you're probably shuddering.

Krylon Looking Glass is probably the coolest thing ever invented. Ever.

I sprayed in on the blue lamp, and for the first 20 seconds or so, all I could see was a matte silver-ish coating. And then, I kid you not, while I stood there watching it, it started shining right before my eyes.


So I sprayed the orange lamp in a literal fit of excitement, and started looking around for ANYTHING else to spray.  Fortunately, I caught myself before every single glass item in my house became Looking Glass. But just barely.

I thought about removing the flowers on the blue lamp, but then I thought that they might just shine through, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Kind of a happy accident.

 
 
 
Now, I'll grant you, both of the lamps (I realize that I haven't shown you a picture of the other one, but that will come in time) need more modern shades. I haven't decided if I'm going to buy them or try making them. I found a tutorial for making lampshades from scratch, but it seems to me like it's missing a step or two, so I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

In the meantime, I'll probably be spraying everything I can with Looking Glass.

I might (maybe?) have a problem.

This post is linked to Domestically Speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my heart happy!!! I'll always try to reply!