Sunday, September 26, 2010

Our Sunday Evening Tradition.




I'm kind of big on traditions.




I think that they tend to give us a kind of mental or emotional stability....something to look forward to and depend on, or something to look back on with joy. They don't have to be huge and momentous (like Thanksgiving or Christmas), but a simple, happy celebration of "today."




And "today" happens to be Sunday. ;)




On Sundays, we usually eat a large midday meal, so nobody (read: Mama) feels like cooking that night, or feels like eating a large dinner.




Enter Monkey Bread.




There is a shortcut to making Monkey Bread (using pre-made biscuits or rolls), but I like to make a batch or two of biscuit dough from scratch. Then I use my Pampered Chef scoop (I think I use the medium-sized one) to scoop out balls of dough and roll them in butter and cinnamon-sugar. (I used to just roll the balls by hand, but using the scoop lessens the mess and also ensures that each piece of bread is the same size. Then I put in a greased/buttered/sprayed cast iron skillet and bake it at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.




When it comes out of the oven, while it's still piping hot, I pour a powdered sugar glaze over it, which kind of carmelizes in the skillet and all over the biscuit dough. Oh, it's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my heart happy!!! I'll always try to reply!