Monday, November 1, 2010

Chocolate Gravy (Yes, That's What I Said!)

Because we are in a transitional time living-space-wise, I have so little to write about! I can't wait until we have a house that I can make homey again (and we should have some definite answers by the end of this week....for those of us that struggle with patience, this time has proven to be a bit challenging).

On the other hand, my mouth still works. And it expects to be fed. Frequently.

Growing up, my mother made Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits every Saturday morning. It was one of those things that we kids (and there were 6 of us) always looked forward to. I know, it sounds a bit odd if you've never had it before. But if you've grown up with it, it's like manna from heaven.

My oldest turned five (FIVE!!!) yesterday, and when I asked him what he wanted for his birthday breakfast, he said, "YOU know. What we ALWAYS have for our birthday breakfast!" And I knew what he meant before he clarified it. That child is my child, after all.

Chocolate Gravy
1 stick of butter
4 Tbs. baking cocoa
1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 cups milk

Melt the butter in a skillet, then mix in the cocoa, flour, and sugar, making a paste. Add milk and stir until you reach a gravy-like consistency, keeping heat even.
It's just like making sausage gravy, only with sugar and chocolate. What's not to love?

This is not one of those recipes that you'll be on the fence about. You'll either love it or hate it.

I love it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my heart happy!!! I'll always try to reply!