Monday, November 5, 2012

How I Made a Rustic Flag

A couple of years ago, when I first discovered blogs (how IS it that I was so late to the party???), of the first blogs that I fell in love with was The Lettered Cottage. I just loved absolutely-stinking-everything about her taste and style. She does the kinds of things that I would think I'd like to do if I had the time, energy, money...okay, if I had the patience and stick-to-it-iveness to tackle projects that take longer than a naptime to finish.

She did a series on decorating mantles for different seasons, and while I didn't (and still don't) have a mantle, this rustic, beach-inspired flag caught my eye instantly.

I had to make something like it for myself, and this is what I came up with.


I bought six picket-fence boards from Lowe's (I think they were around $1.24 apiece), cut them down (by hand!) to a size that I felt would work, and then painted them all red. Then I painted over each one with paint that I already had on hand from other projects, and painted the metal star that had been given to me red as well. I distressed them just by rubbing over the boards with steel wool...the steel wool actually left a little bit of a gray tone behind, which wasn't what I was going for, but worked out well for me! They are fastened together on the underside by two small boards that run from top to bottom (I nailed the fence boards to the small boards).



Linked up to The Brass Apple Mad In Crafts Project Inspire Coastal CharmYesterday on Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my heart happy!!! I'll always try to reply!