Tuesday, August 25, 2009

You Can DO It!

Here it comes....the dreaded work-out speech!
Don't you think that each of us has some kind of fitness goal that we are trying to attain? For most of us, weight loss is a primary concern; we are constantly bombarded with pressure to be thin, whether we realize it or not. But weight loss is only a tiny component of fitness, and very often, it is not sufficient motivation to maintain an exercise program.
I read (or heard) somewhere that people who envision being healthy rather than being thin have a greater tenacity when it comes to working out. In my own life, I found this to be true; when I got pregnant with my oldest, I realized that my body was about to go through its biggest test, and I wanted to be prepared for it. As time has gone on, my fitness goals have modified somewhat as I began to focus on heart health (since heart disease is the #1 killer of women in America today), mental health (LOVE those babies, and I'm so grateful to have them every day, but sometimes staying at home taxes my mind and patience beyond what I ever thought possible!), and stamina.
If you get up today and walk for 5 minutes, that's 5 minutes more than you walked yesterday.
If you do one set of crunches, that's more crunches than you did yesterday.
If you walk up an extra flight of stairs, your bum got more exercise than it did yesterday.
If you think you have big thighs, remember those thighs are going to help you power through.
If your lungs are screaming for air, remember that you are increasing their capacity to help you breathe.
If your muscles ache, remember that they are getting stronger.
Today, you DO NOT have to run a marathon. You just have to pick up one foot and put it in front of the other. Just one more step.
I guarantee you will feel better. You will feel better physically, you will think more clearly, and you will feel better emotionally. I promise.
You can DO it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my heart happy!!! I'll always try to reply!